Position: Software Developer
Work Station: Head Office, Nairobi
Reporting To: Manager, Research and Development
Main Purpose of the Job
In close collaboration with other departments and stakeholders, the software developer’s main purpose will be to: brainstorm, design, develop, test and continually improve the existing software artifacts. The developer at all times shall aim at the cutting edge technology and industry’s best standards, practices and most efficient methodology to provide the best service to Systech and her clientele.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyzing user requirements, researching, designing and writing new software artifacts;
- Develop software solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; following the software development life-cycle.
- Determine operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
- Documenting and demonstrating solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear readable code.
- Responding promptly and professionally to bug reports.
- Obtains and licenses software by obtaining required information from vendors; recommending purchases; testing and approving products
- Evaluating the software and systems that make computers and hardware work at optimal clients’ expectations;
- Creating technical specifications and test plans;
- Writing operational documentation with technical authors;
- Maintaining systems by monitoring and correcting software defects;
- Working closely with other staff;
- Consulting clients and colleagues concerning the maintenance and performance of software systems and with a view to writing or modifying current software systems;
- Protect operations by keeping information confidential.
- Preparation of training manuals and training users
- Handling support and feedback
- Maintaining the systems once they are up and running
- Investigating new technologies;
- Continually updating technical knowledge and skills by attending in-house and/or external courses, reading manuals and accessing new applications.
Key Performance Indicators
- Deliver clean code in time
- Ability to translate functional specs into technical specs and software code.
- Develop complete operational documentation in time.
- Develop complete training manuals in time.
- Identification of new innovative technologies
Education, Qualification, knowledge and Experience
- Degree qualifications in Information Technology, Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field
- Knowledge in Software Development Fundamentals, Software Development Process, Software Requirements
- At least 3-5 years of work experience in software development position
- Experience and knowledge in software development life-cycle
- Training focused on programming, Software Design, Software Debugging, Software Documentation, Software Testing
- Expertise in at least two RDMS (Relational Database Management System)
- Oracle Database Certification will be a Strong added advantage
- Good knowledge of software and programming languages with ability to use one or more OOP development language
- Knowledge on JAVA (J2EE) programming language and JAVA related technologies
- An understanding of the latest trends and their role in a commercial systems development environment
- An understanding of confidentiality and data protection issues
Key Skills and Competencies
- Excellent IT and programming skills
- Clean code writing and software documentation preparation
- Strong in numerical and analytical skills
- Have creative approach to problem-solving
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Ability to work on another developer’s design and specification
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Eye for detail
- Ability to interpret and follow technical plans
- Team working skills with ability to work with people at all levels, including non-technical staff
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines with utmost quality
- Training and presentation skills
- Be self-motivated and a quick learner
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, professionalism, and a commitment to Systech’s vision and mission
Interested Applicants may send their Applications to the Head of HR & Administration: email@example.com